Educator Licensure Information

                                                     dese logo
The resources below are provided to assist you in maintaining and renewing your Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education License. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Educator Licensure or Stacey Gottfried at x10232.

All MPS educators are responsible for maintaining their license. Employment is contingent upon 1) receipt of a valid license for the position for which you have been appointed and 2) maintaining a valid license, in accordance with State Law.

You can apply for your license through your ELAR account at DESE. It is very important for you to be familiar with your ELAR account which houses your demographic data, schools attended, license information and status, as well as other important documents that have been scanned into your file such as correspondence from DESE, MTEL test scores and other important documents. 

Whether you are applying for a new license or renewing an existing license, it may take many months for DESE to process your request. Please plan accordingly.

Educator Licensing Overview

Educator License Types and Guidelines

Educator Licensure Informational Videos 

The Department is pleased to introduce the Massachusetts Educator Licensure Series, a series of informational videos designed to help current and aspiring Massachusetts educators navigate the licensure process. The series currently consists of seven videos that provide an overview of teacher licensure in the Commonwealth, including how to obtain Provisional, Initial and Professional licenses and what the process is for out-of-state applicants. 

Important! June 2019 is another major license renewal cycle.  The Department anticipates an estimated 27,000 renewals in the 2018-19SY. If your license is due to expire April-June 2019, DESE encourages you to renew early. If you have any questions about your license expiration date, please contact Stacey Gottfried at Central Office, x10232, or contact The Office of Educator Licensure,

RETELL & SEI Endorsement Information

Accessing and Managing Your ELAR Account

Name Change Request Form

Step 1:  If your name has changed and you need to update your ELAR profile and license, please complete and submit the Name Change Form along with proof of name change (copy of marriage certificate, social security card, driver's license, etc.), and submit these documents to the Office of Educator Licensure via the methods stipulated on the form.

Step 2:  Notify Stacey Gottfried of the change so that our records can be updated. Please note that your name on your DESE License is the name MPS will reference in Aspen.

Step 3:  Notify Bonnie Benvisutto in the Business Office of your name change.

Verification of School Based Employment/Induction and Mentoring Form 

1.  Please use the link below to print the Induction and Mentoring Form
2.  Once completed, send to Central Office, attn: Stacey
3.  The form will be signed and returned to you
4.  Upload the form to your ELAR Account

Induction and Mentoring Form

It is strongly recommended that when communicating with DESE over the phone you should carefully document the details of the conversation (date, name of DESE representative you are speaking with, details of the conversation, etc.) in case you need to refer back at a later date. 

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.